Avoid clicking links within text messages, especially if they are sent from someone you don't know. But, be aware that attack messages can appear to come from someone you do know, so think before you click.
- Don't respond to text messages that request private or financial information from you.
- If you get a message that appears to be from your bank, contact them directly over a telephone to determine if they sent you a legitimate request.
- Beware of messages that have a number that says it is from "5000" or some other number that is not a cell number. Scammers often mask their identity by using email-to-text services to avoid revealing their actual phone number.
- If a text message is urging you to act or respond quickly, stop and think about it. Remember that criminals use this as a tactic to get you to do what they want.
- Never call on phone number mentioned text message from an unknown number.